Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Inquiry Process Reflection

A few notes about the Inquiry Process Project.

1.  How did the I-search work for you?
The process of choosing a question to research was actually a pleasant one since I was able to focus on what interested me.  Researching articles did not seem like the chore it used to on projects that I had no say in choosing.  The time spent on the project went by rather quickly since I was reading what interested me.  Aside from focusing on the topic of my research, I got to thinking that I really understood the thinking behind allowing students to choose their own topics.  As a matter of fact, during ISTEP testing last week, I had a group of students I don't normally have and couldn't do my usual lessons.  I asked them to compile a list of topics they would like to learn about and we would study them.  No tests.  No notes unless they wanted.  It would be learning just for learning's sake.  They chose the topics of sign language and (surprise to me) following directions.  We had a great couple of days.

2.  What was different or similar to other projects you have done?
The process of searching for resources and the mechanics of writing the paper were similar to other projects I've done before.  What was the biggest difference was the very beginning process of choosing a topic.  I don't think I've ever had such freedom in choosing a topic for study before.

3.  What are you going to do with the “results” that you found?
I am debating with sharing the results of my project with others in the district mainly because it questions decisions made by our superintendent.  Also, I feel that what I did with this project is really just scratching the surface.  There is more information out there I'm sure.  I hardly think I exhausted all resources out there.  I will use what I have learned from my project to help guide the students I take to the computer lab for Fast ForWord, but will now view their results in the lab with a more critical eye since it seems that not all of the students assigned the program really need it.

4.  Is this leading you to another question?
Actually, although not a reading/literacy question, I do wonder about how financial decisions are made and who are the powers that be that decide on these programs.  I wonder about the process of researching programs for possible use in a district.  It wasn't difficult to find the resources I did find for my project that seemed to cast some doubt on the efficacy of the program for all students.  I also wonder now if there are other computer-base programs out there that would better fit the needs of the students in our district or if the use of Fast ForWord could be tailored to better suit the needs of the students who truly need it.  I wonder if the number of licenses could be decreased to save money, and if that money could be used for other programs for students who don't need Fast ForWord.

No comments:

Post a Comment